Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Those are people swimming in February. They would flounder out to the ice, touch it, and swim back to pour warm water all over their bodies.

I haven’t written in a while because I haven’t been seeing much of Beijing. Most of my time has been spent studying in my room or fighting off various illnesses. However, last weekend, I decided I had to get out of my funk, so I got on the subway with somewhat vague intentions.

I found my way to the Dongyue Temple, a Taoist temple that managed to survive the Cultural Revolution. The architecture of the temple is traditionally Chinese, so it is very simple - essentially a series of courtyards. Surrounding each of the courtyards are small rooms that, at first glance, look like exhibits at the national history museum. Each of these rooms contain a number of statues of demons, Taoist deities, and people undergoing various tortures. Each room symbolizes a fate that could possibly befall you and the few Chinese present prayed at each of these rooms by lighting incense and bowing. It is not unlike devotionalism to saints prevalent in popular Catholicism.

When I visited, the temple was preparing for Spring Festival, the annual festival that marks the beginning of the new year in the Chinese lunar calendar. Spring Festival’s five days of family fun begins tomorrow, providing me both a break from school and a reason to go out. Beijing’s temples throw fairs that are very highly attended, so my next entry might be more exciting.

After seeing the temple, I again boarded the subway and, after some split decisions and aimless wandering through the streets, found myself at Hou Hai, which is the name for a lake surrounded by touristy sights, enormous bars, and parks. As I walked around the lake, I was provided with numerous opportunities to practice my Chinese as I was nearly continuously approached by bicycle-riding entrepreneurs who wanted me to ride in their bicycle’s carriage to one of Hou Hai’s tourist spots. After about two hours, I completed my lap around the lake and returned to my dorm.

That night and tonight, the first nights I haven't either been sick or busy, were spent going out and meeting people. Like most major cities, Beijing's options for nocturnal debauchery are numerous and varied. As per usual, I've been frequenting small and inexpensive music venues and hipster bars, however the club scene is incredible and somewhat surprising, as it entirely contradicts the stereotype of the hard-working Chinese with an 11o'clock curfew. Last night, I learned to play the Chinese dice drinking game, which earned me both some comfort (albeit chemically induced) with my Chinese as well as a Chinese "girlfriend", which means that some girl has my phone number and is bragging to her friends about how she's going to move to America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home