Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It's ridiculously easy to add photos onto this website.

Today I went to the ancient Summer Palace, which is now a gorgeous park with traditional-style buildings. It is adjacent to Peking University’s imposing library that both functions as a research library and contains original texts dating back to the 5th century BC. I was traveling with a white American and everywhere we went people were looking at us.

Traveling around Beijing has been interesting. I had thought that my half-Asian features would allow me to somewhat blend into the crowd, but I am instantly recognized as a foreigner. People usually avoid eye contact, but sometimes they stare. All of my interactions have been in Chinese, and everyone encourages my use of Chinese, even if they understand English. Their patience seems infinite.

If you haven't noticed, I'm somewhat antsy to see the city of Beijing. This wanderlust is motivated largely by the incredible fear that I'll be trapped in my room studying for the next four months. Tomorrow, I take my placement exam and classes will begin on Monday. Class will be intense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home